Monday, June 12, 2006

Laugh And The World Laughs With You..

Beijing, China (2006)

During my stay in Beijing, I happended to meet a great guy called Andrea from Italy. His English had the famous Italian accent and he basically was a fun & funny guy to hang out with! We were also part of a larger group that scaled the Great Wall of China for a 5 hour trek. After the tiring trek, that night I suggested to Andrea that we try out the famous Chinese massage which was available at a parlor near our hostel. However, by the time we had dinner and finished chatting and hanging out with the others, it was late. We decided to try our luck, and it was 1am when we were called in for the massage.

Now I must give a general explanation of the ambience in the massage room, which was at the back of the parlor that handled everthing from manicures to foot massages. There was soft lighting, with two flat beds side by side complete with the area to put the face into (I hope you get the picture) and both of us lay there on our bellies and two chirpy Chinese girls came to do the honors. Though it was very late for them, it was an absolutely excellent one hour massage session. They stretched every inch of leg, limb and back and by the end of it all, both of us were totally relaxed! But more than that, the session was an eye-opener into the life they led.

From their limited English, we learned that the two were 21 and 22 years of age and had been working there for few years. They both were not from Beijing, but another place a little far off. They worked in the parlor from 10am to 2am (around 16 hours), 7 days a week, all year. No weekly offs or leaves except during the Chinese New Year. The good thing was that they happily admitted that even with such a gruelling schedule, they were not mistreated or abused by their boss, and were happy to work as work was their life. They sometimes listened to music during work hours and that was their only passion. However, I was shocked by what came next. Inspite of being in Beijing for so long, they said that they had never been to the Great Wall yet! Apparently, they never got the time though they wanted to. And I had already seen it before them!

Both Andrea and me were silent as they said all this. Of course, there are sadder tales than this around the world that one hears. But this was one of the few cases that I had myself come face to face with. I had a knot in my throat, perhaps Andrea did as well. Mind you, they were not complaining to us, they were just happily opening up a bit coz we were friendly towards them and we were initially making a lot of silly jokes so I presume they were just comfortable with sharing..

All through this, the massage was going on non-stop and in sequence and tandem, and one of them suddenly thought of brightening up the mood and suggested that we sing a song for them! After the initial resistance and surprise, it was fun! Andrea started Italian opera songs with the full accent at the top of his voice, driving the girls into a giggle frenzy that soon turned into crazy laughter, and when it was my turn, I started belting out trashy Bollywood tunes and songs for them! Soon it was total mayhem as our backs were being pounded and songs were being sung by all.. The girls sang as well, I must admit they had great voices and though I dont understand Chinese, it was lovely. Of course, the funny thing was that between the 4 of us, none of us understood the others songs. Best of all, their boss let us create a ruckus in there as we were the last customers there and no one else was in at that time! :)

Around 2.30 am, we were done with the massage but what was more important was that me and Andrea had given the girls 40 minutes of simple fun and the chance to express themselves - something that they normally werent used to. As we left, they went non-stop with a sweet "Pleese com ageeeen"..

I couldn't help feel a little bit better after making the girls laugh. Andrea also felt the same. It was a small gesture from our side that had paid off in a big way, and as we walked on, we were thankful to God for our better lives.

I said a little silent prayer for the hardworking, sweet girls as we walked into the cool Beijing night.

14 comments:

MuVo said...

A lovely anecdote and an eye opener indeed.

I couldn't find the newspaper article I was telling you about.
It revolves around this compulsory programme started by the government of China for the youth, mostly fresh graduates, I think. A week of labour to be undertaken by them or in other words ‘be in someone else’s shoes’, in this respect.. in a field of their choice (particularly jobs ‘considered’ menial). The objective of this programme is to instill the value of respect, dignity of labour n humility from adolescence, in the era of the upcoming new generation of the only child-‘Chinese brats’.
I feel this should be made mandatory in India as well.
Well, there can be a whole article written on this, so I won’t hog your comments space :-)

It is interesting, and all backpackers would nod, how much more one learns about life by ‘being there’. And when you look back, it is so worth it..

More China Tales?

Keep travelling!

The Wanderer™ said...

muvo and vaya, thanks guys! Keep coming back :)

P.S I didnt know the proper meaning of anecdote until you both used it. I just checked now and now know :D

3anooda said...

both my parents and my brother just came back from china. just when i was considering going over there for a visit. i would like to trek the chinese wall. alone. would be soo peaceful

black feline said...

alo...are u at home? get back to blogging!

black feline said...

hi again...u must not wander away too long...lol..u have many interesting tales to share...don't worry...a bit of patience and diligence will get u the audience..visit all blogs under the UAE community...give positive comments to their posts...invite them to visit yours..soon u will have many friend from the blog community..keep it up!

Starship Enterprise said...

Nice blog! Happened upon it by chance.. I like travel quite a bit myself. Have just written about a recent trek I went for, on my blog..check it out..

Also, I have been trying to upload some pictures but its not working out. Any suggestions??

GuNs said...

Hey man !

Visiting your blog after a long time now. Didnt really see you on my blog either after that set of comments long time ago. Travelling keeping you busy eh?

But I loved this post man. I am proud of you for doing what you did. Sometimes people think of service providers as just servants and not fellow human beings. I routinely strike up conversations with rickshaw-wallas, bus conductors, the bhelpuri waala, the security guards at office etc. Its really surprising how much you can learn from them. Makes you realize how little you know of this world !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

black feline said...

alo...we are crying for your return soon...dont wander too far away :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, mirror image is right!! nice to hear form you. Perhaps we should meet. My next trip is on the cards. I have not been to any of the places you have mentioned...China etc, though I intend to, someday!!

My mail id is thebackpacker76@hotmail.com. looking forward to hearing from you

Anonymous said...

nice post. very human. it comes as a surprise to me, because if I look closely, we even write quite the same things...things others do not bother to notice. Good to have met you, mirror image!!

Anonymous said...

You are a Gemini as well!! small world!

The Wanderer™ said...

Anjaly,

Yeah, small world indeed! Pleasure to have bumped into you, already drooling at the prospects of being able to just chit chat about our common passion, travel!! I have mailed you, lemme know!

Anonymous said...

lovely touching post...

I am just too afected to leave a longer comment....but will keep dropping by!

Anonymous said...

saw a comment you had left on my blog ages ago and came through that....u might not even remember :D