Thursday, May 25, 2006

Should I have or shouldn't I have...

Macau, 2006

After spending a brilliant few days in ex-Portuguese colony Macau (now a Special Administrative Region of China), I was on my way back to Hong Kong (airport), where I was due to catch a flight in the evening. After purchasing my fast-ferry ticket direct to the Hong Kong Airport for HK$ 200, all I had left in my pockets was HK$ 20, my passport, some chewing gum, digi-cam and my pack of Marlboro Lights. And well, I also had around US$ 100 in unexchanged reserves but tucked away safely. There were a few hours left for boarding so I ventured out to click some last shots of beautiful Macau.

Almost immedietely, a well dressed man who I assumed to be from the Indian subcontinent approaches me. First question, "Are you from India?". I nod. "You see, I'm in a mess. I came to Macau yesterday from Hong Kong on business and was due to return today. However, I've lost my wallet along with all my cash and cards and I've no option but to ask someone money for my return fare. I run a business in Hong Kong and can return the money when we get there. I was looking around for Indians to ask for help as the locals dont understand English and arent very eager to help".

I hear him out before responding, "Firstly, this is the last day of my trip, and I have just enough to last myself till the evening before my flight (well, I didnt feel like even mentioning my reserve US$ to him). Also, I'm not going to HK Central, I'm going to the HK airport directly. I'm sorry, but I guess you should find someone else!" He repeatedly asked me if I was sure I didnt have any money on me? If I was sure I couldn't lend him any? He even told me if I was flying that night, then he could transfer the money to me in a few days. I politely repeated myself, showing him my HK$ 20 left in my pockets, and added that perhaps he should ask someone he knew in Hong Kong to tranfer the money to him rightaway, so he could make his journey back. He said he had already done this, but the problem was that it was a Saturday and the only Western Union money transfer outlet was closed till Monday! He didn't even have any money to stay that night in Macau and was helpless. I had to shrug my shoulders, apologize once more, wish him all the best and walk away.

But my mind was thinking.

Now, regardless of not being able to pay or wanting to pay him personally, I wondered about the truth of his story. In India, I have personally come across numerous such incidents, where smart alecs convince you of their plight and make you part with some money, even change..and make a jackass out of you in the end. I've never got fooled as I generally dont believe any story of this kind. But this incident, when it happened in another country far far away from India, in a place like Macau where you dont normally see Indians, felt a little different.

For once, I felt that perhaps his story..this particular story could have been true.. and if it was, then did I do the wrong thing by walking away? Should I have given him a little of my US$ reserve and helped his genuine case perhaps? What if I (or for that matter, you) were in his shoes tomorrow somewhere and no one believed our story thinking we were crooks? Also, if I had parted with my reserve, and I suddenly needed it later for some reason urgently, what would I do? (Actually, the interesting fact is that very day, just before my flight, a lot of things went wrong for me and only my US$ reserves saved me!)

I wish I knew the answers to these questions.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did the right thing man. I know that being far away makes it look legitimate... "if someone had the resources to come all this way, they'd have to be genuinely in trouble to be asking for help, right?"

Not necessarily.

I had an incident like that happen to me in Philadelphia. An Indian guy approached me for help in a struggling business, where he'd have to leave the country if it didn't turn aronud. He had me so convinced that I even gave him my contact number. A couple of days later, my roommate ran into the same guy with another story... After comparing notes, I decided not to venture my capital into his enterprise :)

Back to your guy... If he had THAT much problem, he could've had someone from HK take a ferry to Macau with the money.

The Wanderer™ said...

Yeah, that's what I also feel now. Perhaps I did the right thing. But I am not sure what the case would be if I was in his shoes! :)

nzm said...

After years of travel, I've come up with a way to deal with this - especially when I travel in the USA where homeless people and beggars are everywhere.

Basically it's this - if they ask for money, they don't need it as much as the people who sit on the pavement, cup in front of them for spare change, eyes down, dirty and unkempt, but not saying anything. The latter group is the one that I will give to.

I believe that if anyone is still smart enough to cook up a story about why they are down on their luck, they're not in dire need.

Right or wrong, this is the way in which I choose to deal with it.

The Wanderer™ said...

nzm - "especially when I travel in the USA where homeless people and beggars are everywhere"

Wow..imagine India then :)

Your idea is good though it wouldn't be the best on all occasions. I guess the best way is to go along with your gut feeling in such matters.

Herlock Sholmes said...

I love Macau, very nice place, full of adventure.

... And, well done not falling for the scam :)

Anonymous said...

well..I guess there is no point mulling over whether he was genuine or not...but I too would think that a fellow so far away from India might be genuine...

Either way....I have helped 2 people in the past needing money...and believe it or not, they bith sent me money later...so my experience makes me less wary!

black feline said...

no need to feel bad...in life we win some we lose some...it is the net total that matters...more debit or credit? i believe u are a charitable person in other ways...i would have done the same under the given circumstances!

The Wanderer™ said...

Chandni - that was awfully sweet of you and the people who borrowed. Though I feel that you were extremely lucky maybe :)

Black Feline - So kind of you to stop by after palace duties at TF's harem..hehe, thanks for the comment :)

halfmanhalfbeer said...

Wanderer: you were right. I lived in HK for ten years, visited Macau almost very month and this 'scam' was doing the rounds.

HMHB